ACWA established its Leaving Care Working Party (LCWP) in 1990, after witnessing the lack of services and the lack of responsibility for young people once their legal orders terminated.
The LCWP meets on the second Friday of every second month and consists of workers from the care sector who work with young people in leaving care and/or after care. Meetings provide the opportunity for a variety of service providers to meet and discuss issues relevant to their workplace.
The goals of the LCWP are to raise awareness about the issues for young people leaving care and their need for follow-up support and after care. Recognition of the needs of young people at this end of the care continuum has only come after much lobbying and persistence.
- ACWA's Submission: Review of the Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA)
- Ministerial Guidelines on the provision of assistance after leaving out-of-home care
- ACWA's Response to Aftercare Ministerial Guidelines
- Independent Living Skills: A checklist for young people in care
- What’s the next step?
- Leading the Way: Preparing young people for leaving care. A Guide for Carers
Community Services - TILA forms and fact sheets
ACWA's Leaving Care Issues and Campaigns
Proceedings of After Care Forums
The Leaving Care Working Party meets 2nd Friday of every 3rd month (Mar, June, Sep, Dec).
Please contact ACWA (02) 9281 8822 or by email.